Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wyatt Earp's Gun


James 3:18 says, “And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.”

(Farm at sunset - Forest Hill, MD)
When I read this scripture this past week, the first thing that came to mind was Wyatt Earp’s gun. I love Westerns. If you have watched them, you’d remember Wyatt Earp’s gun was named the ‘Peacemaker.’ According to legend, that gun brought a ton of peace to the frontier – and for the bad guys…peace in the afterlife. J

Peacemakers are few and far between in this day and time. Some people think they are peacemakers, yet at the first sign of a problem, human instincts kick in and they react. Road rage, arguing with cashiers, impatience while waiting in line, disputes among family members over trivial issues…..just a cycle of constant turmoil.

(Skyline of Baltimore City from Federal Hill)
As Americans, we are known for our building capabilities. Living on the east coast, I’ve been privileged to see some amazing cityscapes. I love to watch a city or businessmen build a new facility for their team to play in, because not far down the road will come another one behind that which is even larger. From buildings to stadiums to ice cream sundaes, we like to build them bigger and larger. 

(Skyline - Philadelphia, PA)
We also have another favorite pastime…Americans love blowing things up. The crumbling of discarded buildings and stadiums causes ooh’s and ahh’s as we watch the massive buildings tumble. Such destructive power.

I simply wonder today: Where are the peacemakers?

Everywhere I turn it seems that there are individuals (even in the safety of the church) who are carrying around their dynamite sticks, ready at a moments notice to tear down anything in their path. James refers to it as the work of our bodies’ deadliest weapon….the tongue. But many are capable of doing it with a look, an attitude, or with judgment.

From where does this originate? 
Scripture speaks of hearts full of bitterness, jealousy, and selfishness. Over the last few days, I have observed people I am around, watching their reactions to life. There are some common factors I have noticed in peacemaking people.
1. You can ‘reason’ with them. What they speak has already been thought through.
2. Mercy pours out of them. They understand that they are not perfect either.
3. They are genuine. Everything they say is to unite and not to cause separation.

Could we observe ourselves today?
- Are the words coming from my heart honest, yet full of humility?
     As a friend of mine says, “Is the grey area gone when you speak?”
- Do I intentionally mean to hurt them when I say this?
     Simply remember, you are either building up or tearing down.

As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person.” (Proverbs 27:19, NLT)

(Peaceful day in the Inner Harbor - Baltimore City)
What do your words reveal about your heart? It will be plain to see what really controls you as others listen to you speak.

My prayer is that God would search my heart and know my innermost thoughts. If there is anything that would cause me to plant seeds of destruction and not peace…change me today.

For I will reap what I sow. 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I can really only reply "WOW" so many times before sounding repetitious but gotta say WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, one more time! Larry, you have spoken so much insight, through this blog today! Thank you for reminding us all...and for sharing!
    Love Ya!
    Sis

    P.S. YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! I'm Just Sayin'~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known the Hill family for a hundred years or so. Cindy has been a great advertisement for your blog on Facebook, and I'm glad I hopped over here today. Wonderful thoughts and the pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete