Monday, August 30, 2010

If you're scared...say you're scared


“Daddy, I’m scared of school.” Those were the first words I heard this morning after getting in the car. If that doesn’t start your day off the wrong way I don’t know what could.

If you have children, you know what it’s like to take them somewhere they don’t want to go, drop them off and simply leave.

One of the toughest things is…it separates them from mom, dad, and all that’s familiar. And this scares us.

As parents, my wife and I have prayed that God would take that fear away from our kids - that they would enjoy the experience of learning, meeting new friends, and gaining their independence, which will benefit them down the road. So why ask God to remove this kind of fear?

I understand in scripture that God has not given us a spirit of fear – but power, love, and a sound mind. But a certain kind of fear can bring some good things.

I refer to ‘things’ that create within us the honor that we should have for the creator of the process. In II Samuel 6, David set out to bring the ark of God’s presence out of the house of Abinadab. The two sons of Abinadab, Uzzah and Ahio guided the cart, which carried the ark. There was a process and instructions for doing this. As the ark was jostled about on the cart, Uzzah (with all good intentions) reached out to steady the ark and was immediately struck down by God. Uzzah didn’t understand the reverence he should have had for following God’s instructions for that process.

I wonder today, would the world be a different place if every individual revered the Creator’s process like they should? Why should we ask God to take away the fear from our kids, when the process of dealing with it is what can benefit them? Why should we ask God to take away the fiery circumstances when those moments are the ones that refine us?



“Heavenly Father, I’m scared of school. It’s uncertain, it’s humbling, it messes up my plan to live by my own schedule, and I’m not in control. But I honor your process. I honor your instructions. Never let me hope for an easier way or one without fear…for how else would I ever know I needed You in the first place?”





I know it must pain God to take me places I don’t want to go which allows me to learn, but I thank Him for creating me exactly as 
He did – a one-of-a-kind person. I realize that just as a parent will pick their children up from school at the end of the day, God will be there to get me when the time is right. I pray that God will always let my fear of school cause a deep respect for the process He created that reminds me of my need for Him.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!! I desire to live God's Way!!!!! God, I hunger for boldness to live Your Way!!!!
    Thank You, Br. Pastor!

    ReplyDelete