Monday, January 30, 2012

I can't get away...


I enjoy reading a good crime novel every now and then. With these kinds of books, I don’t usually keep a highlighter with me because you don’t really expect to get life changing quotes from the author. One of the main characters of this particular novel said something though that stopped me right in the middle of a chapter. It was at a reeeeally good point too, where she was giving the back-story of why she was the way she was. But I had to stop, close the book, and consider what she said. Her companion was trying to get her to simply let certain things of her past go and not really deal with them.
Ma & Pa Heritage Trail
(Bel Air, MD)

She said: “I can’t get away from stuff if I can’t get through it.”

I’ve often wondered why certain things happen to we humans? 
I understand that we bring certain things upon ourselves, but life happens to everyone. Whether it is sin or it is everyday life, things take place that we can’t seem to get a grip on.

In many of these moments we want to just say, ‘Calgon, take me away.’ (Women do anyway)
When life happens, many want to find the nearest hiding place until the storm passes over. Not everyone wants the ball when the game is on the line. As a matter of fact, that is why there are a whole lot more followers today than leaders.

Some wonder why they never can seem to shake the heaviness of guilt – doubt – lack of 
self-confidence – the mundane – habits – lack of direction – on and on the list could go. . . 
In truth, we never got away from what has locked us into our prison because we never made it through it. We often stop right in the middle of our circumstance because we don’t want the ball in our hands when decision time comes.

Main Street
(Bel Air, MD)
Dealing with things causes confrontation, and I cannot stand confronting things. Maybe it is my nature, but I have learned that I am not the only one who doesn’t care much for this part of life. But it is so necessary. As a matter of fact – it is a must!

I am not just referring to confronting others. There are moments in life where that cannot be avoided, but most of the time it is easier to confront others than it is to confront our own selves. We procrastinate because we want others around us to think we have it all together.
I don’t struggle with (fill in the blank).
I do not have bad days.
I know right where I am headed.
I am tough…I can deal with this.

Let’s get real today. If you are human (and I hope you are if you are reading this), it is time to confront…you. You are never going to get away from it until you get through it. But before you start that process, pause and be sure He is with you.

(Forest Hill, MD)
 Psalm 23:4
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for YOU ARE CLOSE beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

Confront it, or you will never get away from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment