Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fighting off good

In a recent documentary of U2, Bono was asked, “How is it that you four guys continue to remain together and put out music that transcends generations?” Bono used a familiar quote that stuck in my heart. He said, “Good is the enemy of great.”

Our world is full of good people and things. There are thousands of good relationships and families. There are good ballplayers and good teams. 
But there are only a few truly great ones. I’m afraid the reason is, we have to pass through good before we can be great. And good is comfortable – good gets us by – good has minimal risks – good gets us lifted up by others because of our potential.

(Andre Ethier of the Dodgers vs Roy Oswalt of the Phillies)
(Two 'great' ones)
Karl Ingersoll, was quoted as saying, “The measure of the greatness of a man’s love for God is not found in his attention to the things he has to do, but in his attention to the things he doesn’t have to do.” 

Simply doing what is required of you could be characterized as being good.
*If you are married, remembering your spouse’s birthday and anniversary…that is good.
** Doing something or sending them a special item 
‘Just Because’…that is great!

*If you are called upon to serve in your local assembly – completing the task…that is good.
** Going beyond what’s required and walking the extra mile…that is great!

The problem with settling for good is, we would never expect that from God. We expect nothing short of greatness from Him because…He is God. He’s supposed to be great and mighty.

I am just . . . me.

But didn’t He create us in His own image? To be His hands, feet, and mouth to speak in a world that, when you look in some places, does not have very much good in it. In order for that to happen, a generation must arise that considers good the enemy of great-ness.

‘He who comes up to his own idea of greatness must always have had a very low standard of it in his mind.’ (Anonymous)

Base your definition of greatness on this scripture today, and ask yourself this question – “Have I lived up to Psalm 119:30-35?
30 I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations.

31 I cling to your laws. 
Lord, don’t let me be put to shame!
 

32 I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding.
33
Teach me your decrees, O Lord;
      I will keep them to the end.
 34 Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions;
      I will put them into practice with all my heart.
 35 Make me walk along the path of your commands,
      for that is where my happiness is found. (NLT)

(This spider said - one web is just not good enough)
(Two of them would be great!)
You can’t do this by simply being good. If you’re going to ‘tell’ and ‘show’ how great Christ is, you’re going to have to passionately pursue greatness!
Do you want to get past the have-to’s and discover the want-to’s? 
Then decide to.

Grow out of good. (Greatness awaits you)

1 comment: