Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Running on Empty


Do you ever feel like you’re running on empty?

Those moments (or days) when you feel you have simply nothing to offer. Some look to you for encouragement and you just don’t have anything to share. You sit down to journal your hopes and dreams, and nothing comes out. These moments make me feel like I’ve either done something wrong or that I’m a failure.  I’ve even questioned if God really cares for me because He would allow me to feel so drained.

I heard a couple statements recently…
“A man on his face can’t fall from that position.”
“Humility will come to you – it just depends on whether or not you want to do it or let God.” (Chris Hodges)

(Closed Metal Decorating Co.)
(Downtown Baltimore City)
These statements have helped me to realize that if I’m falling into the realm of emptiness, then I am not laying on my face enough before the Master. Scripture even says in Proverbs 16 that, “pride cometh before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.”  

Some people become very humble when storms are swirling in their lives because they need peace from God. But when the birds are singing and life is good, the “I” mentality comes into play and pride begins to build. Look what “I’m” doing – Look at the success “I” am having. This kind of thinking will lead us ever so quickly down a road toward destruction.

What is the main ingredient of humility? 
Corrie Ten Boom said in her book, Each New Day: “When I saw Sadhu Sundar Singh in Europe, he had completed a tour around the world. People asked him, ‘Doesn't it do harm, you’re getting so much honor?’  The Sadhu's answer was: ‘No. The donkey went into Jerusalem, and they put garments on the ground before him. He was not proud. He knew it was not done to honor him, but for Jesus, who was sitting on his back. When people honor me, I know it is not me, but the Lord, who does the job.’" 
(Sheep at pasture - Jarrettsville, MD)
Humble people are lifted to a place of honor. Their name may never be put in lights, but the honor that comes from their fellow man will be shown in amazing ways. As the principle of humility consumes our life and the rewards begin to come, our position before the master can never change…for it is He who does the work.

Philippians 2:7-8 says,”Who, being in very nature
God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!”

In humble adoration and honor…I kneel before my God. 

For ordering of blog pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment