Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is the Tooth Fairy real?


We celebrate losing teeth around our home. (Well…when our kids do anyways J) My oldest son lost another one yesterday. I asked him why he didn’t let his mom and I know it was loose? He said, “I didn’t tell mama ‘cause she would’ve yanked it out!”

(Max's keepsake tooth fairy box)
He is at the age where he is beginning to figure out and question some things concerning what’s real and what’s not. We had a lengthy discussion last night of whether or not dad and mom was the ‘tooth fairy’. I finally said, “Son, if there’s money under your pillow, does it really matter who puts it there?”

As the conversation became more frustrating, I became aware of my own desire to ‘figure’ things out. I knew presents were going to be under the tree on Christmas morning, I always found money under my pillow when I lost a tooth, and somehow even a rabbit brought candy and treats around April every year. But eventually there came that moment when I just had to know who it was making this stuff happen. It wasn’t good enough for me that it occurred…I had to know who actually did it.

I remember when I first experienced receiving blessings from God. My heart and soul was filled with a desire to know Him. But somewhere along the way in our spiritual lives, we lose this desire to find out Who it is that continues to provide, bless, and direct our steps. We tend to grow familiar with the journey and take for granted the everyday details that He takes care of, leading us to forget there’s more of Him to know than what He does for us. 

…the air we’re allowed to breathe
…the favor we continue to experience
…the blessings of protection, grace, and guidance that we are daily given

These things cause us to simply ‘expect’ the gifts to be there, and we stop taking the time to get to know the Giver. A lack of hunger to know Him grows within us until we actually begin settling for our will and not His. Instead of ‘where He leads me I will follow’, it becomes ‘I’ll go where I want to go’. That is, until we lose some of these daily blessings that we’ve grown accustomed to. Then we quickly go running after the Giver and begin the process of repentance all over again.
It is imperative that we believe – but that belief MUST lead to a desire to know who He (the Giver) really is!   


Philippians 3:10 – ‘That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made comfortable unto His death;’


Want to know Him more? 

If so, we’ve got to be like my son. Simply ask . . . then listen. Scripture says, ‘You have not because you don’t ask’. If the blessings have become familiar, it might just be time to fall in love with the Giver all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment