Friday, September 24, 2010

Be You


Have you ever wanted to be someone else? I’m not referring to the desire to be a superhero, alien, cowboy or Indian…
Maybe you have looked into the lives of those around you and, filled with envy, wondered what it would be like to be them.

Looking back over most of my early school days, I wish could have a do-over. I worked so hard during that span of time trying to find just the ‘right mix’. I did all I could to fit in to whichever group could make me look the best. In reality, most of my school years were spent fighting against the urge just to be myself. While God was over in the corner whispering to me, ‘Just be who I made you to be.’

(Flowers in Bel Air, MD)
Psalm 139:13-16 says, “For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.”

So many go through life:
1. Not knowing who they are.
2. Once they find out, they then spend the rest of the time not liking their discovery.

As hard as it may be, we must fight each day to overcome this sense that we would be better off if we were just ___________.  
How do we do it?

Every single day, we must celebrate who we are.
*We don’t need another singer like that.
*We don’t need another minister like that.
*We don’t need another person who does it exactly like…that.
*We don’t need another _________.
*What we need is…YOU.

(Flowers in Washington, D.C.)
Galatians 6:4-5 says, “Be sure to do what you should, for then you will enjoy the personal satisfaction of having done your work well, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct.” (NLT)

Celebrate who you are and there will be little time left to compare yourself to another. Commit an act of random kindness without expecting others to notice. Dance, sing, or do something silly without regard to being seen. Praise someone else’s efforts – out loud. Re-arrange things in your home…whatever it takes to celebrate YOU.

Love the God who made you.  Who is the first person we blame most of the time for making us who we are? God.  At the beginning of each day, we must settle within ourselves that we are going to love the God who made us…no matter what.

(Aliceanna Street - Inner Harbor)
(Baltimore, MD)
We say we would never turn our back on Him, but Peter said the same thing. He thought he would never do that…until he wanted to hide who he was. When all the ugly stuff shows up, do we still love the God that made us? 

Students - save yourself a lot of heartache by learning early on…be you.
Young married couple - the Jones’s are not as well off as you think…be you.
Ma’am - you are beautiful just the way you are. We don’t need another so and so…be you.
Sir - we don’t need another superhero. We need you.

Love yourself.
Love the God who made you.


For ordering blog pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment