Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking for 'Free' Money...


Yesterday my wife and I took our oldest kiddo and introduced him to the fun of New York City during the holidays. The City is always full of people but the holiday season is a time like no other. Recently, parts of the city received the blessing of over two feet of snow that made walking an adventure…to say the least.

(SnowMan in Central Park)
New York, NY
Before getting on the Path train in New Jersey, Max said, “Dad, 
I found three lucky pennies.” For the rest of the day, whether walking in the subway tunnels, Central Park, or down 5th Avenue, Max had his head down in observation of the ground beneath him…looking for money.

At the end of the day, he had accumulated $0.71.

Then he said something that got me to thinking.  
He said, “All I had to do was just look around and I got free money. Dad, you’re never going to find any money because all you want to do is go forward.” 
After that statement, he had both my wife and I looking for ‘free money.’

(Max and his 'Free Money')
It never ceases to amaze me how that ‘out of the mouth of babes’ focus and clarity can come to us. 

I mentioned to my wife how that 2011 has me filled with excitement. I don’t know what the future holds, but there is an expectancy for incredible things that are to come with the dawn of this new year. Max gave me a word yesterday that will be my personal theme for 2011. . .Observance. 

I do not want to get so caught up in my own ‘forward’ movements that I don’t focus and observe:
* Am I as close to Christ as I need to be?
* The needs of others around me.
* The blessings I already possess.
* The needs of my own family.

To be an authentic Christ follower, isn’t this what it’s all about? Everywhere His feet trod, there was always an opportunity to benefit someone else.

He may be winding you around to places that make you wonder, but…‘look around.’ You might be missing some blessings lying right beneath your feet. 

(Max in Central Park)
New York, NY
Sorry I have to cut this short. The year of observance starts tomorrow for me…I’ve got to go look for some ‘free’ money. J

Happy 2011 to you and yours!

For ordering blog pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com

1 comment:

  1. Awesome New Year Blog, brother!! I also love the pictures!! Tell Max he did great and I only wish I'd been there with y'all! :)
    Love Y'all and Happy 2011!
    Sis

    ReplyDelete