Friday, December 10, 2010

Thorns


I love days when I feel free of sin, negativity, and habits. 
On those days, my purpose in Christ is clear and I can’t do enough to fulfill my mission.  But with more experience and understanding of how life works, I am noticing a disturbing trend in my personal life. I can gain what I feel is ‘freedom’ from a thought, a habit, or some negative feeling…and then out of nowhere, I continue to be blindsided by the same things over and over again. 

(Chuck's)
Pastor Wade - WOL Community
Forest Hill, MD
Have you ever wondered why many of our negative habits and recurring obstacles show back up time and time again? It is as if a consistent ‘thorn” has yet to be removed from our side, and we have only covered it with medication for a short period of time. And living in this flesh, we can rest assured that these “thorns” will rise back to the top when we least expect it.

Do we ever truly remove them?

I had a scripture that came to my mind from II Corinthians 3:17: “…and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (liberty).” In reality, most of these ‘thorns’ chain us to sinful thoughts, habits, and obstacles.
If, while living in this flesh, the battle to suppress this stuff will always be there…then where does freedom from it lie?

(Max @ Rock's State Park)
Jarrettsville, MD
Anytime I have had these ‘thorns’ rise back up to the top, I can always trace it back to a lack of time with God. I have allowed myself to become complacent and not remain focused on keeping His presence alive in my everyday life. For “…where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (liberty).” 

And, according to scripture, 
His presence is found in the praises of His people. We praise Him not only in corporate settings with church attendance, but we praise Him by: 
* Having daily conversation with Him
* Digesting His Word
* Living a life of sacrifice…by taking up our cross and following Him.

Want to consistently suppress those aggravating thorns that blindside you?  Keep a fresh touch of the Spirit of the Lord surrounding you. Because where He is – there IS freedom.

For ordering blog pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com


No comments:

Post a Comment