Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My biggest competition

In my own quirky way, I’ve grown quite fond of the social networking phenomenon called Twitter. It has forced me to figure out alternate ways to squeeze thoughts into 140 characters or less. My thoughts are difficult enough to get out in 140 minutes…much less 140 characters. This morning I came across a ‘tweet’ by @nametagscott that caught my attention. He said, “Your biggest competition is life. It tends to get in the way. As such, procrastination is the peripheral and perpetual opponent.”

This statement came into my world on a morning when things were just a bit chaotic. I had to be somewhere – traffic was not cooperating – neither was my attitude. The problem is - most of the time I’m fighting against the very thing that I can do nothing about.

Life happens.

(Duck at the National Mall)
(Washington, D.C.)
Sure, we make our fair share of mistakes. We go through things that we often bring on ourselves. But like it or not, if you are breathing, you’re in the game of life. And what we so often don’t take into consideration is - you can get hit just as hard standing on the sidelines as you can on the playing field.

If you’ve ever watched a football game, you have seen those plays that end up on the sidelines. The players on the bench and coaches will all begin backing up as the competing players begin approaching their sideline. In each game, (on more than one occasion) those standing around will get taken out by those fighting for more yardage. And they usually get the brunt of the contact because they weren’t ready for it.

There are moments when Christ puts us on the sidelines to watch and learn as others are competing. But that’s no excuse to take our eyes off the playing field. Life is coming at us…ready or not. The key is preparation.

(Sleeping ducks near Lincoln Memorial)
(Washington, D.C.)
There is no excuse to being unprepared. While life may throw us things from the ‘blindside’ we never saw coming, there is still no excuse not to be prepared. At any moment your number may be called and you will no longer be on the sidelines. And if you are in the game, fighting and clawing to advance, preparation is a must to keep the end zone in sight.

II Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

In II Chronicles 27 you can read of King Jotham who began his reign at twenty-five years of age. During his sixteen-year reign, “King Jotham became powerful because he was careful to live in obedience to the Lord his God.” (Vs. 6) The KJV says, “For Jotham became mighty, because he ‘prepared’ his ways before the Lord his God.”

(Farm - Jarrettsville, MD)
Life is coming. Hide out on the sideline…it will find you. Play with passion…it can find you there also. There’s no way around it. But there is a way through it.

David said, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and they staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.”

Life happens. Be Ready.

For ordering of blog pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com

1 comment:

  1. "They that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run & not be weary, they shall walk & not faint, teach me Lord, teach me Lord to wait." That is one of life's hardest things to want to do in this instant generation. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete