Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's Dark in Here


John 9:41 (NLT)
“If you were blind, you wouldn’t be guilty,” Jesus replied. “But you remain guilty because you can see.”

When I was a kid, I did not care very much for the dark. Now that I am older I still do not care much for it. The dark is full of the unknown, yet it contains things that are around in the light. 
The difference is we just can’t see them anymore.

I’ve often wondered what life must be like for those who do not have the ability to see. I am always humbled and find myself being a bit more grateful for sight when I see those that are being given assistance just to make their way across a room. 
With eternity in mind though, I wonder if it would not be better 
(in some instances) to go through this life without the gift of sight?

Rainy Day
(Forest Hill, MD)
What I mean is the gift of sight brings with it our perceptions. 
We begin to perceive that certain things are the way they are because of what we ‘see’ with our natural eyes.
We begin to perceive that our ‘way’ is the only way because we refuse to ‘see’ the words of Christ.
We perceive that things are never going to get better because we don’t ‘see’ a light at the end of the tunnel.

Jesus told the Pharisees that they were guilty because they could see.
Many have seen so much that they no longer just believe. We don’t see things working out the way we thought they would, so God is no longer the way.

(Downtown Bel Air, MD)
We have no choice over whether we can see in the natural; our decision lies in what and how we look at things. That is why some of those who were born without sight are the happiest people on the planet. They have chosen to see ‘light’ while their world is surrounded by darkness. 
I think the Apostle Paul was on to something in II Corinthians when he said, We walk by faith and not by sight.

Let your perceptions begin to find their foundation on God’s promises and not on what you see with your natural eyes.
You may see no way that your financial situation is ever going to improve; but God said, I shall supply all your need according to my riches in glory.
You may see a sickness that medical science says is incurable; but God says, By my stripes ye are healed.
The list could go on and on.

(Forest Hill, MD)
In the end, let us not be found guilty because we could see…let our eyes continue to ‘look up’ from where our help comes from. 
(Psalm 121:1)

For ordering pictures, please visit:
www.morningjogphotography.smugmug.com


2 comments:

  1. Larry,
    So you and Susan are both amazing bloggers. Thanks for sharing this. I struggle to realize that my perception is not always reality. Your words bring hope in to my life. You are amazing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete